July 1, 2022

Garden Grave / The First Time I Come to My Senses by Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozabal

Garden Grave

Eternity is a grave in the garden
where plants grow and die like thoughts.
The moon above the earth is a quiet 
witness for our secrets shining its light.
Get on your knees and dig out the dirt.
In the morning there is another witness 
burning bright. The trees will provide
solace for your life with its shade.
There in the garden a grave awaits.
Some prefer the sea, stormy or calm,
with a garden grave underneath.

The First Time I Come to My Senses 
How old I have grown on this job
that has buried all my dreams.
Green pastures are far from here.
This place grinds up the soul.
I have reached the pinnacle of
my growth. The climb was far
from fun. I desire only to leave
the first time I come to my senses.
Flowers wilt inside this room.
Birds do not sing inside these walls.
I stand in the shadows and I am
surrounded by a forest of doubt.
Great angels would not survive a
day here. I am through with this
place that grinds up the soul. I
have grown too old. We all have.




Born in Mexico, Luis lives in California and works in the mental health field in Los Angeles. His poems have appeared in print and online in Black Poppy Review, Blue Collar Review, Escape Into Life, Kendra Steiner Editions, and Nerve Cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment