December 11, 2019

A Memory of Water by Michael L. Newell

Rain rips through the night
in savage gusts, tattoos
the window which sighs, punch drunk,
a fighter about to topple.

I roll over in bed, deep
contentment, snug, dry,
remembering a hundred other times
I have sprawled like this, listening
to drumming on roof and window.

The shadow filling the room
is bigger than night or memory
and I slide into it, a familiar robe--
warm, worn, comforting.

There is a history here, yours and mine,
a chronicle of cells growing more complex,
moving toward dry land but never
forgetting, always coming back to the shore to dangle
a foot, a toe, a sleepy lolling around

the edge of water--
like tonight as I leave
a window half-opened
and turn my face to the fine spray.




Michael L. Newell is a retired English/Theatre teacher.  His most recent book is Meditation of an Old Man Standing on a Bridge (Bellowing Ark Press, 2018).

1 comment: