August 14, 2018

Just Because, Bad Heart by Michael Lee Johnson

Just because I am old
do not tumble me dry.
Toss me away with those unused
Wheat pennies, Buffalo nickels, and Mercury dimes
in those pickle jars in the basement.
Do not bleach my dark memories
Salvation Army my clothes
to the poor because I died.
Do not retire me leave me a factory pension
in dust to history alone.
Save my unfinished poems refuse to toss them
into the unpolished alleyways of exile rusty trash barrows
just outside my window, just because I am old.
Do not create more spare images, adverbs
or adjectives than you need to bury me with.
Do not stand over my grave, weep,
pouring a bottle of Old Crow
bourbon whiskey without asking permission
if it can go through your kidney’s first.
When under stone sod I shall rise and go out
in my soft slippers in cold rain
dread no danger, pick yellow daffodils,
learn to spit up echoes of words
bow fiddle me up a northern Spring storm.
Do you bad heart, see in pine box of wood,
just because I got old.








Michael Lee Johnson lived ten years in Canada during the Vietnam era and is a dual citizen of the United States and Canada. Today he is a poet, freelance writer, amateur photographer, and small business owner in Itasca, Illinois.  Mr. Johnson published in more than 1037 publications, his poems have appeared in 37 countries, he edits, publishes 10 different poetry sites.  Michael Lee Johnson, Itasca, IL, nominated for 2 Pushcart Prize awards for poetry 2015/1 Best of the Net 2016/and 2 Best of the Net 2017.  

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking time to publish my poem Just Because, Bad Heart by Michael Lee Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you in Poppy Road, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Marianne, Sandy Benitez & I go back quite away back likely about 2007-2009.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just reading this note from you Michael. Sorry, I'm not getting notifications when someone leaves a comment. Glad to see you back in Poppy Road too, as well as you Marianne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have bee net friends for along time and I appreciate all you have done for small poetry press Sandy.

    ReplyDelete