May 12, 2020

Shoe Laces and Dragon Flies by James Walton

a bad eye bleeds
iron filing stagnant
from when the bail head burst forward
the cow standing over me, muzzling, repentant

I’m being shown the correct way
double loop knot, twist and over
rust is in my mouth that zingy flavour
stale Twisties too much salt

No.5 Charolais Friesian cross 
her breath sweet grass my favourite
pushes me cleans the cut above sinuses

Father Cleary stands waiting
I forget to open the door, dreaming, 
three straps for each hand

my shoelaces are wet with dragonflies
the doctor stitches a tidy summation
wings whir flutter drop circle float
a taste of yarrow tea

when I wake from sleep on her warm belly
she’s too sound of fresh hay to rise 
the orchard has flicked like new Velcro
each sound of my stepping a lace’s memory

drag and pull a quiet lapping 
slipping socks in boots too large
I stall in the sun’s marinade
a hover of rainbows






James Walton is the author of four collections of poetry. He is published in many newspapers, anthologies, and journals.

1 comment:

  1. One of the best Australian poets. I could read this man's poetry all day long. Such diversity of life and experience lived and observed. Fascinating and brilliant.

    ReplyDelete