May 6, 2020

In the Field by Martin Willitts Jr.

(A Villanelle)

I wanted to stay forever in the field,
turning the soil, finding the persistent,
to see if, like love, they would yield

to the forever, if the soil would be healed
by love. I was not resistant.
I wanted to stay Forever. In the field,

there were many choices that appealed —
choosing plants or trees all twisted,
to see, if like love, they would yield.

Like birds, sprung and wheeled,
all life was enlisted.
I wanted to stay forever in the field.

Flowers or trees were not concealed
but were seen, unassisted,
to see if, like love, they would yield.

Overwhelmed, in love, I kneeled.
Sadness and grief were released.
I wanted to stay forever in the field,

to see if like love they would yield.





Martin Willitts Jr has 24 chapbooks including the Turtle Island Quarterly Editor’s Choice Award, “The Wire Fence Holding Back the World” (Flowstone Press, 2017), plus 19 full-length collections including the Blue Light Award 2019, “The Temporary World”. His recent book is "Unfolding Towards Love" (Wipf and Stock, 2020).

No comments:

Post a Comment