March 25, 2019

The Crimson of Spring by Carol Louise Moon

Anna's hummingbird would fit inside my pocket.
If only I could catch him with my hand. Crimson
is in the eye of the beholder this sunny day in
bloom along the curb.  A fantasy of crimson
seems to spring up everywhere.  Pockets of tiny
pink weed and red eye-winks of sweet pea--
spring's handiwork evident in our yard.

Crimson roses venture through our redwood
fence. Crimson breast of robin, brown eye-band
of cedar waxwing--Crow's eye is on the smallest
of them all.

Spring provides a bounty and a tragedy. Crimson
flow of blood--Crow's had his hand in this... and
something more.  Everywhere I sense a struggle.
Suddenly, the least of these will spring to flight
escaping heavy hand of Crow, his royal crimson
heart a pocket hole.

Though I love spring, and "Oh, 'tis grand," I see
the hand of fate--the surprise of crimson.






Carol Louise Moon is a Simulated Client Actor, and a poet who has work published in Suisun Valley Review (CA), California Quarterly, Everything Stops and Listens (Ohio), Time of Singing (PA), Peeking Cat Poetry Mag (UK) and Sacramento Voices Anthologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment