August 21, 2018

Waiting for Rain / In the Evening by Steve Klepetar

Waiting for Rain

I waited while the sky grew dark. 
All morning I waited for rain,  
recalling how it spoke to me 
when I was young, just a gentle 
chatter spilling around my face 
as I floated between earth and sky.
I leapt from the house in a downpour,
dashed into the flooded street, 
sliding along a slick ladder of drops. 
Out in the weather, time 
became real, my hair, my face wet 
and cold, shirt stuck to my back 
like a second skin, or wings 
waiting to unfurl on the wailing wind.





In the Evening

I remember how dogs whined 
for you, sniffing and begging 
to be stroked, how insects 
swirled around your head 
but wouldn’t bite. 
I feel your fingers on my cheek, 
the madness in my rushing blood. 
I remember how you walked 
in the evening as sun 
dipped slowly toward the sea,
firelight dancing in your hair, 
eyes so green they pierced the dark.
Your voice rose like a song 
or a chant to a goddess lost in mist.





Steve Klepetar lives in the Berkshires in Massachusetts. His work has received several nominations for Best of the Net and the Pushcart Prize. Recent collections include A Landscape in Hell (Flutter Press) and Why Glass Shatters (One Sentence Chaps).

No comments:

Post a Comment