March 30, 2015

Two Poems by Richard Schnap

Debt
I face a door
With a broken lock
Behind which dwells
A defeated man
Buried in filth
And cigarette smoke
Still dreaming of kisses
In his bankrupt heart
For the pact he made
With the man with no shadow
Has reached its deadline
As he dines on crumbs
Until the cold stranger
Arrives to collect
The remains of his soul
Withered into dust
Stalemate
I travel a road
Toward an unknown destination
Unmarked by any sign
Guided by stars
That do not follow
A simple astronomy
Leaving me to consult
Maps in languages
I do not understand
And books of answers
That seem to say
Both yes and no
And as I proceed
I pass the remains
Of others who became lost
Who sought the gold
They believed was promised
Finding only an empty box
Richard Schnap is a poet, songwriter and collagist living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His poems have most recently appeared locally, nationally and overseas in a variety of print and online publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment