January 23, 2015

And so it's gone by J.K. Durick

A strategic nail
or peg or two
held out
 
and so
the barn held up,
stood up longer than
we hoped it would
 
and so
last Sunday we did
the ripping and tearing
necessary to remove
a century of Sundays from 
view
 
and so 
last Sunday night we
sat in the rubble and toasted
our ancestry
with paper cups half full
of cheap red wine
 
and so
last Monday afternoon we
sold the boards and what
else we could

and so we
watched the sun go by
without “that ugly old barn”
our great-grandfather built.





J. K. Durick is a writing teacher at the Community College of Vermont and an online writing tutor. His recent poems have appeared in Camel SaloonBlack MirrorDeep Water Literary JournalEye on life Magazine, and Leaves of Ink.

1 comment:

  1. I read this poem
    all the way through

    and so
    I figured it was a good sign

    and so
    I read it a couple more times

    and so
    I figured I was right

    And so
    my hat is off

    ReplyDelete