December 8, 2014

Found Myself by Linda M. Crate

my heart is a wild thing
it cannot be
restrained
by my own rib cage
let alone by
all your pressing 
demands,
and i'd like to say i'm sorry
but i'm not;
you were always pressing
down on my throat
with your boots
demanding that i conform
but i could not and would not
i am me,
and everyone else is already
taken and why would
i waste my life
trying to be something or someone i'm
not?
originality is something i've always
valued along with my freedom,
and i was not sorry
when i finally found my voice
flew into the sky
shed you 
like a snake does it's skin
without looking back or remorse
for it had to happen;
i had to lose you
to find me
in a sky full of moon and stars.






Linda M. Crate is a Pennsylvanian native born in Pittsburgh yet raised in the rural town of Conneautville. She currently resides in Meadville. Her poetry, short stories, articles, and reviews have been published in a myriad of magazines both online and in print. Recently her two chapbooks, A Mermaid Crashing Into Dawn (Fowlpox Press - June 2013) and Less Than A Man (The Camel Saloon - January 2014) were published. 

No comments:

Post a Comment