July 6, 2013

When We Doubt Our Friends by Martin Willitts Jr.



From a letter from Blake to Thomas Butts, 1803
 
What is left when doubt remains?
Doubt sits on an invisible throne in my head.
It resides in that narrow space between the eyes,
so I see is wrongness and lack of trust.
Is it clarity? Is it illusion? It paces.
 
It wanders into my blind-side; in the troubled heart,
taking accusations like knuckles. How can I see?
Nothing is trustworthy. Nothing is real or too real.
 
When nothing is real, things are itchy in my palms.
I have to sketch things as I see them,
and I am not certain what I see.
Is it an angle of light, piercing the clouds?
 
O, open me comforting Spirit, to what is and what is not. 



Martin Willitts Jr forthcoming poetry books include “Waiting For The Day To Open Its Wings” (UNBOUND Content), “Art Is the Impression of an Artist” (Edgar and Lenore's Publishing House), “City Of Tents” (Crisis Chronicles Press), "A Is for Aorta" (Seven Circles Press), "Swimming In the Ladle of Stars" (Kattywompus Press), and he is the winner of the inaugural Wild Earth Poetry Contest for his full length collection “Searching For What Is Not There” (Hiraeth Press).

No comments:

Post a Comment