May 28, 2013

Interview w/ Poet Michael Holme





1.      Who or what inspired you to write poetry? 
I have a scientific background with a BSc in Chemistry and an MSc in Computing. However, I turned to the arts late in life. First I learned to play the piano, and then by enlisting the help of the Writers Bureau poetry course, I studied writing poetry with Alison Chisholm who is excellent. I was determined to wash off the logical/mathematical label that my upbringing had put on me. A long time ago now I started writing my roman à clef and eventually poetry replaced it. I use it as a beautiful diary. Last year, sadly I recorded the death of my wife in verse.  


2.      Do you have a favorite place to write?
Yes, in my "art gallery." I have a modest collection of art by artists such as Colin Jellicoe, Walter Kershaw and David Miller, etc.

http://www.colinjellicoe.co.uk/
http://www.walterkershaw.co.uk/
http://www.davidmillerart.co.uk/


3.      Who are your favorite poets, alive or deceased?
Paul Durcan, Philip Larkin, Charles Bukowski, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Bob Dylan and John Cooper Clarke. John was the first poet I was ever really exposed to. I heard him reciting his performance, punk poetry on the radio when I was a boy. 


4.      What five words best sum up your personality?
Capricious, kind, caring, extravagant, impatient. 


5.      Other than writing, what else do you love to do?
I play the piano, for example Grieg Lyric Pieces and Chopin Preludes. 


6.      What are your current, and/or next projects?
My next project is to finish my roman à clef. 

No comments:

Post a Comment