April 3, 2013

Virgo Constellation by Martin Willitts Jr.

Note: Virgo is often portrayed carrying two sheaves of wheat. It's the second largest constellation in the sky.   
Note: Greek: Parthenos (the Virgin)



I am still wet with dark furrowed soil
after planting star-dreaming seeds.
My fingers are shafts of light over distant fields.
There is nothing more that I can do
to extend the day. My boots are caked with yesterday.

I sit in a sighing chair.
My body uncurls its sky filled with longing.

I made this wooden table,
carved my initials into its skin,
murmuring of things I still needed to do.

My wife unbuttons her night shirt
and her breasts are two stars wondering why I am still
in the garden when I should be with her.

My son is a shaft of wheat dreaming of possibilities.
The distant calling is in the wind that never brings rain.




Martin Willitts Jr retired as a Senior Librarian and is living in Syracuse, New York. He is currently a volunteer literacy tutor, and editor of Willet Press. He is a visual artist of Victorian and Chinese paper cutouts. He was nominated for 5 Pushcart and 3 Best Of The Net awards. His forthcoming  poetry books include  “Waiting For The Day To Open Its Wings” (UNBOUND Content, 2013),  “Art Is the Impression of an Artist” (Edgar and Lenore's Publishing House, 2013), “City Of Tents” (Crisis Chronicles Press, 2013), “A Is For Aorta” (Seven Circles Press, e-book, February 2013), and “Swimming In the Ladle of Stars” (Kattywompus Press, 2013).

No comments:

Post a Comment