April 9, 2013

Recovered by Allison Grayhurst


The light that fell in the fish's
mouth was a light that came loose
from the predator's paw.
And a thousand moons have died
like the blue whale and the harp.
Since then I have been surrounded
by a dryness that killed my ferns and the
tender, drooping lily. In summer, the
ghost is the future and the bride is
the first one sleeping. I called in my skin
to the humming river. I wanted my darkness
to dance and faith to run through me like
the smell of peppermint leaves.
This was the thing asked for. This was the thing
received. Grace nestled between the joints
of two extremes, and lucky was my drink.
I believe in you - the fire is your smile,
and the soft infant underfoot is your heart and seed.
I have felt a flicker of your shape in a Spanish sunset
and in my father's last goodbye.
Sometimes I am a skeleton, other times, only flesh.
But today I remember the bounty
of all my journeys, and I love you. I am amazed.





Allison Grayhurst has had over 200 poems published in more than 135 journals, magazines, and anthologies including Parabola (summer 2012), South Florida Arts Journal, The Antigonish Review, Dalhousie Review, The New Quarterly, and Wascana Review.  Her poetry chapbook The River is Blind was recently published by Ottawa publisher above/ground press in December 2012.  Allison lives in Toronto with her husband, two children, two cats, and a dog. She also sculpts, working with clay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment