March 10, 2013

Interview w/ Poet M.J. Iuppa




1.  Who or what inspired you to write poetry? 
Oh, such a good question, one that leaves me a bit awe-struck because it’s a question that triggers volumes.   Robert Louis Stevenson’s collection A Child’s Garden of Verse won me over with “The Swing.”  Would recite that poem every time  I sat on a swing in my childhood—even now. Nature  has always been an influence, and my desire to create  something beautiful. I think I use nature as an opportunity to talk about human nature.

2.  Do you have a favorite place to write?
Several places:  kitchen table near the warmth of the woodstove, my desk in our study and en plein air.

3.  Who are your favorite poets, alive or deceased?
Louise Gluck, Peggy Shumaker, Susan Ludvigson, Lola Haskins, Elizabeth Bishop, Frank O’Hara, James Wright, Deborah Digges, and many more.

4.  What five words best sum up your personality?
Focused. Energetic. Committed. Cheerful (mostly). Thoughtful.

5.  Other than writing, what else do you love to do?
Working in the gardens (we live on a farm and have been immersed in sustainability for the past 8 years), watercolors, walking and hiking; attending concerts and plays, and spending time with family and friends (want to do more of this).

6.  What are your current, and/or next projects?
Oh goodness, there’s always two pots simmering. My "get-it- together" project is to send out my 3rd collection in the next few weeks.  It's been ready for a while now.  Time to let it go out into the world.

7.  Where can we reach you?
    mjiuppa.blogspot.com        


No comments:

Post a Comment