December 10, 2012

Velveteen Awakening by Samantha Seto


You carried me in your arms,
fed me milk and cookies,
recited classic princess bedtime stories.

I would dress in my pink tutu,
eat cheerios by the stairs,
you were always there.

As I grew older, times were harder,
sacrifice the grace of life,
taught me my first words - hug a teddy bear.

The piano sung melodies of Rachmaninoff
and tylenols would cure my headaches
past midnight hours.

I would rest my head on your shoulder
to awaken, making puzzle pieces match.
Good night, Moon!

On journeys to the park,
you pushed me on blue swings,
my feet covered in sand.




Samantha Seto has been published in various anthologies including CeremonySoul FountainCarcinogenic Poetry, and Black Magnolias Journal. She is a third prize poetry winner of the Whispering Prairie Press contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment