November 2, 2012

Interview with Poet Valentina Cano



1. Who or what inspired you to write poetry?
Throughout my life, I have struggled with serious bouts of depression. A few years ago, during a particular difficult wrestling match with the darkness in my head, I felt the urge to write. I had no agenda for it; I just needed to put some words on paper. From then on, writing has become an addiction of sorts. It brings relief when nothing else does.
2. Do you have a favorite place to write?
I write my poems in my bedroom, where I have a little desk piled with too many books. I’m sure they’ll come crashing on me some day when I’m in the middle of some thought.
3. Who are your favorite poets, alive or deceased?
When it comes to contemporary poets, I love Margaret Atwood. There’s a freshness to her writing that I really admire, and her imagery is superb. Of course, Emily Dickinson is another outstanding poet, who is a source of immense inspiration. Her poems’ deceiving simplicity is something that I don’t think other poets have managed to achieve.
4. What five words best sum up your personality?
Introverted. Analytical. Obsessive. Creative. Freethinking.
5. Other than writing, what else do you love to do?
I am training to be a classical singer. Singing has been a part of my life for a long time, and it is my hope to join the ranks of the sopranos out in the opera world.
Apart from that, I adore baking, and quilting. They are relaxing hobbies that, for someone as introverted as I am, provide the silence and solitude I need.
6. What are your current, and/or next projects?
Well, my literary agent and I are very busy trying to find a home for one of my novels, which is a psychological mystery geared towards teenagers.
7. Where can we reach you?
My blog, Carabosse’s Library, is where you can see what I’m currently reading, reviewing and doing. Of course, in this day and age, I also have a Facebook account: Valentina Cano.

2 comments:

  1. Good interview. I enjoyed it. Valentina is a very talented artist, and I'm a fan of her work. :)

    ReplyDelete