November 17, 2012

Interview with Poet Sergio Ortiz




1.      Who or what inspired you to write poetry? 
I started writing poetry when I was a teenager.  My psychologist recommended I keep a journal of my emotions and I decided to do it in verse.  However, it wasn’t until 1994, when my mother died, that I decided to workshop my poetry.  It was here that I really started to focus on my writing.  I studied English Literature at the university with the hope of becoming a writer.  Finally after I retired from teaching I was able to do it.

2.       Do you have a favorite place to write?
I love to write in my living room.  Sunrise is the best time for me to write.

3.      Who are your favorite poets, alive or deceased?
Sylvia Plath, Audre Lord,  Lorca, Neruda, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan are among many.

4.      What five words best sum up your personality?
I would say, creative, persistent, shy, private, and sensitive.

5.      Other than writing, what else do you love to do?      
I paint, and I have taken up photography in the last few years.

6.      What are your current, and/or next projects?
I want to write a chapbook of Tanka, and I would love to go to a haiku or tanka retreat.  Actually a retreat of any kind of writing would be marvelous. 

7.      Where can we reach you?
Well, I have a blog where you can read some of my published poetry:  http://saore.blogspot.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment