November 6, 2012

Hurry Up & Wait

Dear Poppy Readers,

This is just a friendly note from your editor about the latest news with Red Poppy Review.  I just checked the stats for Red Poppy in Duotrope's Digest and was just a teeny bit disappointed at the percentage of author withdrawals considering I was at 0 just a few weeks ago.  Please keep in mind that you can expect a response within 1-3 months (this is also stated in the Guidelines Page) sort of as a forewarning that yes, it may take a while.  

I realize that some people are in a hurry to set their poems free and get them published, so if this is you, you may want to consider submitting to another journal.  I review each submission in chronological order and only after a few days have passed.  I am presently publishing poems and interviews about every 3 days.  This takes pressure off of me to feel as though I have to post something every day and gives readers time to enjoy what is posted instead of skimming through the poems without much interest or care.  As a result, there is presently a wait time of 1 month.  This is a literary journal, not a twitter feed done on a daily basis.  

What's the rush?  If you feel as though you've been waiting longer than the max of 3 months, then please remind me but I do keep track of all submissions and can honestly say that no one has been waiting that long.  I get busy, I do have a life beyond this journal with much more pressing responsibilities.  I am a wife, mother, and also have a "real" part-time job along with running a small poetry press.

Oh, and one last thing, someone has not updated (in Duotrope's Digest) their long ago submission to Red Poppy because it's showing up as over 104 days of waiting for a response.  I don't have any submissions that go that far back.  Other than that, Red Poppy is doing really well and welcomes submissions year round.

2 comments:

  1. Christie, it's a website which acts as an index for many poetry journals and presses that are either in print or on the internet. It's a great place to research journals when considering submitting your poetry or chapbooks for publication. I use it all the time and it's been very helpful. Red Poppy is listed there as well.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete