October 3, 2012

Trapped in Red Amber by Sandy Benitez

I was the 38-year-old tree,
ancient and rigid to some.
A skeptical mid-wife measured my trunk,
grimaced at the added weight
and worry lines that accompany mid-life.


How I wanted to be vibrant again,
slim branches bearing fresh fruit.
My womb, once stubborn and strong
was now a fossil of itself.
I never felt the hardening into resin;


it was only after the doctor
plied you from my womb
that I witnessed your existence.
Tiny and immobile like an insect
once trapped in red amber.

11 comments:

  1. A terrific poem on so many levels, this is a great way to restart Red Poppy for those who love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Donal and for your kind comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bearing fruit metaphor is given a whole new dimension with the midwife measuring the trunk and the red amber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Christie, it's quite an assortment of things. Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've no doubt that Red Poppy fans are happy to see the re-start. I know I am. One of your own poems was the perfect re-beginning, Sandy. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much Lori. This is a poem included in my recent chapbook, Angel, about a miscarriage I suffered 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very sorry to hear that. I suspected as much, but I hoped. What was his or her name?

      Delete
  7. Thank you Christie. Her name was Sophia Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How beautiful. And a beautiful poem for her to match. Thank you for sharing it.

      Delete
  8. I didn't realise what the poem was about. I'm so sorry Sandy. BTW Sophia Rose truly is a beautiful name.

    ReplyDelete