October 16, 2012

Interview with Poet L.C. Ricardo




1.      Who or what inspired you to write poetry?

English was always my favorite subject.  But it was in high school that I first encountered poetry of a quality that had a great power.  Maybe that’s trite or antiquated, but it certainly had a power over me.  My friend started a poetry journal and gave me one to start as well, in which we copied our favorite poems and shared our own.  So then I had to write poetry to fill it up with.  Once I started, I found it quite addictive.

2.      Do you have a favorite place to write?

Any place quiet and mildly secluded.  I hate being interrupted while writing, which to me feels like someone poking around in your insides during a very precise and essential surgery.

3.      Who are your favorite poets, alive or deceased?

Emily Dickinson means a lot to me.  I adore the imaginative capabilities of Coleridge and Edgar Alan Poe.  Poe in particular is a joy to read for what he does with language.  I wrote my Master’s thesis on the Arthurian long poems of Charles Williams and David Jones.  David Jones changed my life; perhaps it’s more accurate to say that he accelerated me on a path that my life was already taking.

I guess those are all dead poets!  Okay: I also aspire to the talent of my friend Joshua Davis.  He hasn’t published his theses for the general public yet, but when he does—and he will, it’s only a matter of time—please keep an eye out for him.

4.      What five words best sum up your personality?

Sensitive, opinionated, empathetic, scatterbrained, sincere.

5.      Other than writing, what else do you love to do?

I used to spend an unethical amount of time drawing!  If I had the money, I would throw monthly tea parties.  I’ve got wanderlust and the itch to learn about other cultures, though I’ve never mastered a second language (my closest attempt was Italian, my latest attempt Welsh).  I’ve always wanted to join a historical reenactment group, anywhere between the early middle ages and the WWI.  And to anyone who drops by my blog, it will be immediately obvious that I’m obsessed with fairy tales.

I also have a two-year-old, so there is that!

6.      What are your current, and/or next projects?

On my blog, Spinning Straw into Gold (http://spinstrawintogold.blogspot.com), I’m trying to get a regularly held writing prompt exercise going.  Participants can submit poetry or fiction (even art, if they feel so led).  I’m trying to fill a hole in the online community where people who write fairy tales and the speculative genre can encourage and help each other; I’ve found it difficult so far, as a newcomer myself, to break through.  So that’s me reaching out.  For my own benefit as much as everyone else’s, I’m afraid.

On the agenda for this fall, I am preparing something for Scheherazade’s Bequest and the new publication Unsettling Wonder, so I hope I’ll have something worthy of those.

By the way, if any of your readers are or know an aspiring speculative poet, author, or artist who would like to be spotlighted on SSiG, please contact me.  We ought to give up-and-coming artists some exposure and plenty of affirmation.

7.      Where can we reach you?

Drop by Spinning Straw into Gold and leave a comment.  Or feel free to e-mail me at GreenInkling@gmail.com.  Please do.  And thank you very much, Sandy, for offering me the opportunity to do this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment