August 4, 2012

Summer Poetry Contest Winners



Summer Poetry Contest Winner & Runner Up

Congratulations!!!

Winner
Lindsey Bellosa



Hooked

The rain tastes like salt and I
wipe my face with my hand, wondering if I’m bleeding.
Your rod bows, quivering with something deep
that you pull up silver and struggling.
You say: this is you…. a fish out of water.
I look out at the crusted water and consider
the blue distance between this beach and home.
You insert three fingers into the gills,
crack the scales open to reveal pink flesh.
You taste with your tongue and find salt.
My face when you kiss my cheek cracks.
You look.  I’d have thrown it back if you asked.
But I don’t struggle. You reach for me
and I grab your hand like a fish grabs a hook.


Lindsey Bellosa was born in 1983 in upstate NY. She has an MA in Writing from the National University of Galway, Ireland and has had several poems and short stories published in both Irish and American magazines and journals. She is currently working on her first collection of poetry about the search for identity and the complexities of anorexia. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runner Up
Harry Calhoun


And I Say

And she asks me, falling asleep in my arms,
“Where will we be when both of us die?”

And I say, “We’ll find each other and be together
somehow.” And of course she says that makes no sense.

And I say, “Neither does any major religion.”
And this goes on a while, as it has for the ages.

***

Alan Watts said, “Belief is clinging. Faith is letting go.”
I am somewhere in the middle now, clinging to her,

letting go of the fear of losing her
on this small and sometimes choiceless world.

And I say, to myself I guess, I never want to give this up.
I want to wake next to her every morning.

And this goes on a while, as it has for the ages.




Harry Calhoun has had work published in various poetry journals over the past 30 years. Flutter Press has published his chapbooks Something Real (2010) and The Insomnia Poems (2011).  In 2012, England’s Pig Ear Press published the limited-edition chapbook Maintenance and Deathand Propaganda Press issued the collection of poems from the ‘80s and ’90s called Retro.

No comments:

Post a Comment