August 30, 2012

Digest by Deonte Osayande


I've begun to smell my own decay.
Hypoglycemia and accidental fasting,
diabetes and the bloodline I keep.
I have forgotten my ability to eat.
Most in the household, condensed
once the bills got harder to pay.
Prospero is a ghost of a magician,
following his daughter around
because he forgot how to live.
Such has become my fate
on the weekends, during days,
where nobody remembers
that I'm still here damn it
and someone should check on me.
Only hearing from other artists
with hunger for the hunger and not
for the sustenance of making better art.


Deonte Osayande is a graduate student at the University of Detroit Mercy. He is a two time Dudley Randall Poetry Contest winner, and 2012's number 5 top slam poet in the midwest amongst other awards and distinctions. He spends most of his time studying poetry and traveling giving poetry readings across the US and Canada. His work can be found in Quantum Poetry Magazine, Emerge Literary Journal, Requiem Magazine and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment