June 7, 2012

Denver International Airport, October 2010 by Nina Bennett



Security line undulates,
ripples forward like a snake
moving across the high plains
of southern Colorado.
I shuffle, wind my way
to the conveyor belt, urge
my sneakers off, plop
them in a bin.
The train hurtles to Concourse B.
A fireplug of a man wobbles
to my gate in a bobbing, rolling
motion, like the Weeble toy.
Unable to squeeze into a seat
in the waiting area, he leans
against a column, wheezing,
dark exertion stain spreading
slowly across his chest. I don’t
need to see his boarding pass
to know he has the middle seat
on my row.






Nina Bennett is the author of Forgotten Tears A Grandmother’s Journey Through Grief. Her poetry has appeared in numerous journals and anthologies including RequiemTipton Poetry JournalSan Pedro River Review, The Summerset Review, Bryant Literary Review, Yale Journal for Humanities in Medicine, and The Broadkill Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment