May 21, 2012

Irises and Perfect Life by Martin Willitts, Jr.

Irises and Perfect Life
            Based on the painting Irises by Van Gogh, 1889

If I had my way, the world would begin and end
in Irises. The earth should be as normal as a table
to place a bowl of cut irises. How perfect
is love between two people exchanging irises,
better still, if they exchanged love as often as first kisses.
Countries would greatly improve if leaders spoke
and irises fell from their purple lips. We would sing
forever if irises had their way with us. Poets would rave
as guests in an asylum. Religious leaders would genuflect,
knowing such inspiration came from the same source
making light and air, the seeds dormant in soil,
the shaken irises of stars, a dove’s cry.
If I had my way, everyday would wake as irises.





Martin Willitts Jr has published 23 chapbooks and 3 full length books of poetry including forthcoming chapbooks include “How to Find Peace” (Kattywompus Press, 2012), “Playing The Pauses In The Absence Of Stars” (Main Street Rag, 2012), and “No Special Favors” (Green Fuse Press, 2012). 

1 comment:

  1. There's something exquisite about an iris. You've captured that here, and Van Gogh did as well in a marvelous way back in 1889. The gardener at the asylum where Van Gogh stayed at that time never dreamed the impact his work in the dirt would have, I'll bet.

    I took a look at a photo of Van Gogh's painting and some other irises as soon as I read your poem. Thank you for that. I loved the poem.

    ReplyDelete