July 5, 2011

The Man with the Yellow Ruler by Kyle Hemmings

"A desire for forms and limits overwhelms us" 
---Garcia Lorca, Ode to Salvador Dali

The man with the Yellow Ruler
measures my form from a sheet
of cold pressed paper,
cuts me out 
shapes me with Cubist longing,
pastes me into his landscape painting
of a winding back road
stretching beyond
serrated mountains,
a river reflecting goose-feather wings like scars.
There, against the shapes of his painting,
I feel a tingle up my thighs,
a pulse bounding in my chest,
so watercolor brilliant.
I turn
and run into the background
wherever the winding road
to his watercolor blueprint
will take me.
Stop, he screams,
Stop. 





Kyle Hemmings is the author of three chapbooks of poems: Avenue C (Scars Publications), Fuzzy Logic (Punkin Press), and Amsterdam & Other Broken Love Songs (Flutter Press). He has been pubbed at Gold Wake Press, Thunderclap Press, Blue Fifth Review, Step Away, and The Other Room. He blogs at http://upatberggasse19.blogspot.com/



1 comment: