March 5, 2014

Two Poems by Rose Mary Boehm


Pitaya
Pinky-red or yellow. Not pretty
but unexpected. The man
at the market cuts
through the soft, thick peel
with a sharp knife
and practiced skill. Toma.
He offers me a slice of almost
quivering, succulent flesh.
Juice drips from my hands
down my forearms into my sleeves.

From now on I'll cut deep
until I lay bare the sweetness.




Wide Open

Empowered with sowing out life
the gods watch its chaotic dispersion.

I see a murmuration of dandelion seeds
tumbling in the afternoon breeze.

The world's smallest flowering plant
is transported by cyclonic storms,
has even been found in melted hailstones.

This morning I aimed a small piece
of paper at the trash only to follow its
erratic flight over the garage roof.





German-born UK national, Rose Mary Boehm lives and works in Lima, Peru. Author of two novels and a poetry collection (TANGENTS), her poems have appeared or are forthcoming in many major poetry reviews. 

1 comment:

  1. I especially like the unexpectedness of the second poem. Both pieces excellent, of course!

    ReplyDelete